Monday, June 16, 2014

Bye Home, I Don't Know if I'll Miss You...Just Kidding

The Essentials: The Freedom and Justice Reading Material
D-Day for the Cornell cohort couldn't have fallen on a better day than today (specifically within 2 hours and 20 minutes-ish time) because as I am typing this blog I am watching the release of the Season 4 finale of Game of Thrones. SPOILER ALERT: I knew Tyrion was going to live, but I didn't think he had the guts to kill his own overwhelmingly cruel father--but I am proud of him and he's been my favorite character.

Moving on to Departure Day being a few hours from now, I believe I spent my day efficiently. I woke up this morning at 9:43 and knew that this was going to be the last time in a long time that I would be able to sleep in, as pretty much the coming ~four weeks will be filled with many things to do. I decided that I would be packing calories back East, so I jogged today to Refugio Park from my home and embarrassingly burnt out after around the third mile and suffered the rest of the way back. I also went swimming at a local pool, because my little brother insisted so much to spend time with me before I would embark on my journey (I promised him too).
From L to R: My personal item (laptop backpack), my carry-on (my good 'ol duffel bag) and my check-in luggage

Not to mention, I also finished packing up everything with the help of my parents who insisted so much on helping me. In reality, I soon figured out that they made everything a lot easier and faster. To my disappointment  when we weighed the check-in luggage--it was 45 lb, with 50 being the limit. I may end up having to switch some items around my duffel bag and check-in whenever I get the time.

My Room. The TV, Window, and oversized/comfy Chair I will truly Miss
All the while when I was going about the day doing these activities, I put a significant amount of thought into what I am going to experience within the next month, how I'm going to change, what I'm going to learn and just about everything else that comes before a major step in your life. It hasn't hit me yet, completely. In fact it reminds me of the day right after my interview, after being selected. Perhaps I haven't even been hit by that yet. I have a feeling its going to hit me the moment I step on the shuttle in El Cerrito headed to SFO with my fellow ILCer's--including the Columbia cohort. I've never been more than 44 miles away from my parents or younger brother for more than two days and now its going to be well over a thousand miles, over state borders--but still in the U.S. for about a month's time. I'm feeling sad--sad for the feeling that my family is going to have, after hearing them give their last heart felt goodbyes. I will miss them too, but I like the independence that I will have being on my own, for the most part at Cornell.

At the same time, I'm excited to visit St. Louis as our first stop and am ready for the dinner with school alumni and admissions officers, ready for sight-seeing, and possibly a Cardinals game that we may end up going to (if Mr. Chan-Law permits). I also feel bad, today for as I was packing my luggage, I couldn't find the USB that Don gave me, but luckily he said he could get me one tomorrow morning. Also, hopefully Don can get us a replacement copy of the Plato readings because the one he gave us was faulty in some chapters to say the least (horrendous binding). I should get my hour worth of sleep now--that will likely dissipate into 30 min, so until the next blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment